• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Garvin

Garvin
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:32 PM

Legits/Unperms/Perms Guide

This guide was written out to help you all at least have an idea of what you're getting yourself into anytime you buy an item out there. (Unless you buy from DcloneIRC Trusteds) :P

First of all, lets sort through some vocabulary.An item can only be Legit, Permed, or Unpermed.
- Legit: An item that was self found (dropped or shopped and NOT traded since you don't know the items history) or made (includes transmuting runes via cube).
- Permed: An item that has its own ID number and that will not poof. Permed dupes do exist, if they were done in 08 when items did not have id numbers.
- Unpermed: An item that has been duplicated, and that will poof if its on the same server. (details below).

Special case:

- In the case of runewords, Any unperm runes stuck in a LEGIT/PERM Socketed item will make the runes "PERM" BUT as you cannot get these runes back in any way the runeword is legit and you're safe to say it will not disapear.

Why items poof:

To start with, every non-white item (magical/rare/unique and so on) has an item code. Each base item has a certain code. However, if the item is magical/unique/rare or runeworded, the base code is then transformed into a unique code that is verified by bnet for duplicates. If two items containing the same code meet within the same server, bnet sees to it that one of them are just once upon a time hehe (Gone). :P

How to s/e against known unperms:

I have realised during my time on jsp, that when people ask me to help them s/e and try to poof an item, they do not know the proper procedure so I have writen this little tutorial in hopes to help everyone out. The most surefire way to check if two items are identical is to perm out while having these two items in inventory. Since there are evidently trust issues if you desire to test the other person's items, there is a second way to do this.

What you need:

- 3x available players/keys.
- 1x character containing the permed item
- 1x character containing the unpermed item
- 1x witness

Notes: This test ONLY works with items that have same item codes Like .08 duped items two of the item codes clashing together means one is gone, but as if you try this with hrs how can you be sure the item code is the same as the other hr? (you can't)

Step 1: Char containing the unpermed item perms off the character with the permed item
Step 2: Unperm char perms out, exits, and char with perm-to-be-tested exits immediately after.
Step 3: Both chars re-enter game and check.

Facts that should be taken into consideration:

1. As mentionned before, it is possible to have different dupes of a same item, therefore, if for example you s/e against 40 unpermed jahs, all that is confirmed is that the bmana that are seemingly permed are not one of the 40 YOU HAVE However, there can still be 40 hrs out there that match yours (unperm) it just means that the 2 x 40 sets have different Item codes (first set has different item codes than the second set).

2. Make sure that the witness is a true witness and not another version of the guy who can then help lie.

Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.)

Q: I have baaled from level 1 to 90 with this grief in my stash and it hasn't yet poofed. Can I be 100% sure its permed?

A: Wrong. From a practical stand point, you can never be sure that an item is permed. Simply because, if an item has been duped once, or twice, the chances of it being on the same ip server within the same time frame is quite rare. It's easy to poof massly duped items, but private or exclusive ones are a lot harder.
EXAMPLE: I had an .08 valk I had for a year in 1.10 and a year in 1.11 and after about 3/4 the year was over in .11 It disapeared.
YOU CAN'T BE SURE AN ITEM IS PERM. (considering you have .08 duped items they all have same item codes you can do perform the test)

Ok, this is then end of the guide anything I think of later I will add.

Any questions? Message Garvin on IRC

IRC.DCLONEIRC.NET IS THE PLACE TO BE!!! :)