Legit Player's Guide to Rushing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bob

Bob
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 04:54 PM

Some people say that it is impossible to actually compete with maphackers for time in rushes. I tend to disagree. If you read this guide, you can find that most maps in the Diablo II world are not randomly generated, and rather a compilation of pre-rendered maps that are randomly selected.

NOTE: These are general guidelines, and are MOST OFTEN TRUE, but not always.

1. The first key to finding your way to the next area is to follow the walls in a counter clockwise pattern. This is most often the fastest path. Remember this rule, it will help you immensely as you usually start in a corner, not in the center.  Exceptions: Arcane Sanctuary, and Catacombs Level 3.

2. The Maggot Lair is usually found on the upper ridge not on the lower ridge, and maggot lair three will almost always start you in the lower left, if you head directly up and to the right, this is where Coldworm is most often.

3. As you have already been to Far Oasis, it will be marked on your map, follow the wall in areas farthest away from Far Oasis when looking for Claw Viper Temple.

4. This tip gets me accused of maphacking most often, as I am in the True Tomb before someone tells me it. If you look at the symbols shown near the Summoner, they are not the true tombs symbol.
Posted Image

So use process of elimination and single out the true tomb, then head directly there. This is much quicker than waiting to be told it. Once you arrive in the Canyon, the symbols from left to right are in this order:

circle, half circle, square, spiral, arrows, triangle, circle and a half

5. When Finding Mephisto in: normal mode, check immediately by the wp first, this will be where level 3 is.
Nightmare mode, use rule #1, this is the longest part of a rush for me, since 1.10 they beefed up the map size for level 2, and I spend little time doing nightmare rushes.
Hell mode, the stairs down are found most often in the lower parts of the map, search those places first.

6. Finding the Hellforge, take the first branch. Most often the left branch where he is found almost immediately.

7. Any places without specific directions, follow rule #1.

Extra areas to mention....

Finding Nihlathak is one more thing I will mention. Some people refuse to get the waypoint for Halls of Pain, this is actually a bad idea, unless you are planning to do only Pindle runs on this character.

If you get the waypoint, and kill Nihlathak the portal will close, making it more difficult to get to pindle, however I feel its still simpler to get to pindle with the portal closed, than trying to do Nihlathak with the portal open.

The stairs up leading to pindle from the waypoint, are always in the center, ALWAYS. Also, there is only 3 variations of maps from the waypoint to Halls of Vaught. Once you have done a few of these runs from the waypoint, you notice this pattern and can do these runs with ease.

Once in the Halls of Vaught, there is the trouble of finding Nihlathak. Everyone say thank you to Blizzard by the way for this next one.
Posted Image
The above is the image you are looking for, it is kind of a graffiti on the wall. This shows that Nihlathak will be in the lower left.

Posted Image
If this image is not on the first section of that center wall then it is not the correct path.

Edited by Bob, 19 February 2006 - 05:00 PM.

#2 Uchiha-Sango

Uchiha-Sango

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 04:59 PM

wow.. real real nice guide lol

i did know about summoner trick for ages and ages but i never got accused of mh O_o

nith i learned a little bit ago from Fuhrmanator

#3 beatnik

beatnik
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:29 PM

Nicely done on this legit players guide :D

The pictures make it all the better

I wasnt 100% certain on the nith mural thing.  Now I am so thanks!

This will help make it so much clearer for the other players that were not certain. B)

#4 ario

ario

User

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:45 AM

Good guide. ;)

#5 Cr33KfR34k

Cr33KfR34k
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:50 AM

Oh my god all my rushers should be like bob :P

And all of em are going to have to read it now that i found it

wewt for faster rushes soon w/o mh :D go Bob! (but die from my attack)

#6 Ret

Ret
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:24 PM

To add to this, there seems to be a pattern to the whereabouts of the ending point for the claw viper temple(stairs to next lvl and stairs to bottom floor) as well as in tal rasha's tomb. I'm not sure if this holds true in other difficulties but I have found that in normal they are almost always in the same place. I havent tested it out yet to see but when I do I'll post my findings.

#7 limpits

limpits
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:34 AM

Amazing, I never knew about the Nith trick

#8 unkel

unkel
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:51 AM

haha everyone told me i had mh because i use the tomb trick as well. nice guide btw

#9 Nobody

Nobody
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:35 PM

Excellent guide, Bob!

View PostBob, on Feb 19 2006, 03:54 PM, said:

Extra areas to mention....
(snip)
Once in the Halls of Vaught, there is the trouble of finding Nihlathak. Everyone say thank you to Blizzard by the way for this next one.
(snip)
I attached to this posting a concise image that shows which of the panels should be checked for each direction. Ignore any graffiti that's on other walls - if a panel shown here in red has a face on it, Nihl is down that branch of the map.

Edited by Nobody, 27 February 2006 - 12:36 PM.

#10 Le_Murphant

Le_Murphant
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:46 PM

Yeah, Nihaltak trick is pretty cool. But i would doubt that blizz really meant to put it there, probably an easter egg put there by some programmers. So thank the rebel programmers, not the company.

#11 RaMeN

RaMeN
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:02 AM

sweeetttt ;D

#12 Uchiha-Sango

Uchiha-Sango

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:20 PM

View Postlimpits, on Feb 21 2006, 01:34 AM, said:

Amazing, I never knew about the Nith trick

as mentioned above i only learned about nith trick a short while before this was posted

View Postunkel, on Feb 27 2006, 12:51 AM, said:

haha everyone told me i had mh because i use the tomb trick as well. nice guide btw

i get that alot too.. also because i tend to find summoner awesomely fast :)

#13 -sKiPPz-

-sKiPPz-
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 01:44 AM

I had never even noticed that mural until after reading this thread.  Thank Blizzard? I think I'll thank you Bob for pointing this one out to me. *agree