• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 flawd

flawd
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 01:21 AM

Changing your Cable Internet IP if you have a router

I'm going to do this for a D-Link DI-624, because that's what I use, and that's all that I have avalable to look at.

The first thing you need to do is get into the router configuration. Go to this address in your browser: http://192.168.0.1/ Some routers also use http://192.168.1.1/

The default username and password for a D-link is
Username: Admin
Password: <blank>
The pass is nothing, don't put anything in the password part.

I'm pretty sure netgear uses a blank username and Admin as the pass... check the users manual.

Ok so you are now into the config, now we need to change the MAC address for the router.
On the left are navigation buttons, you want to click on the last one, called "DHCP"

Once in that screen, look for where it says "MAC Address".
If you want to use a custom MAC then you can put it in there, remember to only use numbers 0-9 and letters a-f. Sometimes this method doesn't work if you hit on a MAC that someone else is using, or if your ISP just doesn't like it.

In the next part it says "DHCP Client". This is the easiest way to change the mac of the router. If there are 2 or more computers on the router you will have a drop down menu on there. You may choose any of these that you want, and just click on clone. And it will fill in all the info for you. If you have already done this then you may want to clone another, or clone the same one and change one or two of the numbers in the MAC.

After it is all filled in, click apply. Then the router will restart itself, and boot you off the internet for a few seconds.
To finally change your ip, you need to unplug your modem for at least 10 seconds to make it reset.
When you plug it back in, you should have a new IP and no more realm down! yay!

Good luck!

P.S. - If you cannot get back online after restarting the modem then you cannot change the mac for some reason, and you have to revert the changes to the router. This is very rare so keep it in mind, but don't worry about it.

#2 flawd

flawd
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 01:23 AM

Cable modem, no router, modem and computer directly linked.

This setup requires you to change the MAC address of your Network Card on your computer. Some ISPs log your MAC address, and will not let you connect if you change it. But this is rare and you don't have to worry about it much. I know for a fact that Comcast allows it, and will change your IP. If for some reason, after you do this, you cannot get back online, then you can use the option in etherchange "Go back to the built-in ethernet address of the network adapter"

The first thing you need to do, is download etherchange.exe which can be found here. I know it looks suspicious, just an exe file so for conformation you can click here for the website of the creators of the program. You can download it there if you like, and check the file size to see that mine is unchanged.

Download etherchange.exe and save it somewhere easily accessable.  For this example I will Save it to C:\ to keep it basic.  Next click the start menu and click run.  Type in cmd and hit enter.  It will open up a command prompt, at that prompt type in C:\etherchange.exe and press enter. When it runs you will see:

EtherChange 1.0 - © 2003, Arne Vidstrom
- http://ntsecurity.nu...ox/etherchange/

0. Exit
1. Adapter
2. Adapter

Pick a network adapter:

In there it will show the names of the Ethernet adaptors you have, you must know which one is connected to the internet if you have more than one.  Once you know which to choose, press the corresponding number, and this should show up:

0. Exit
1. Specify a new ethernet address
2. Go back to the built-in ethernet address of the network adapter

Pick an action:

You want to select 1 to specify a new address.  That will bring up the prompt for the new MAC address:

Pick an action: 1

Specify a new ethernet address (in hex without separators): _

A normal MAC address looks something like this,  01-4C-D1-BA-23-D6.  You can use this as an example if you like.  Now change a couple of the letters and numbers of the MAC address.  All the letters must be A-E, no higher.  If I was going to change my address i would make it something similar to 000EB3BB73D6, remember to remove the dashes (-) before putting it into the cmd prompt.

Before you press enter here to set the new MAC address, go to your control panel, and click on network adapters.  Right click on the network card connected to the modem and click disable.  THIS WILL KICK YOU OFF LINE.  Next, unplug your modem.  Now go back to the command prompt and press enter to change the MAC address.  It will tell you that you need to disable the network card, which you have done already and then it will exit.

And that is it, your done.  Plug back in the modem then go back to network connections and re enable the network card, and you should be online and realm down free.

#3 ario

ario

User

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:49 AM

There is also R1CH's tool.

ChangeMAC - Change or create a new MAC address on any network interface

**Note that, the tools requires .NET Framework, which can be downloaded from here.