- - - - -

Is there something I should do (or not do) ? .....

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 k10wnsta

k10wnsta
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 02:08 PM

I'm fairly new to the dclone-uswest irc chat channel, but have found my time there to have added a new thrill to my Diablo playing days...what's more, I've come to know some really kewl people in there....

I had left my PC running and the window was open (though minimized) when I fell asleep (while waiting for a rather triflingly long temp-ban to expire).

I was a bit dismayed to find this morning that I had been permanently banned from the channel for having an 'open proxy' or something to that effect.
Although I know a fair amount about computers, and an equally fair amount about Diablo 2, I must admit that I'm a complete dunderhead when it comes to network and networking jargon.
I have to assume that my 'open proxy' was just my extended connection to the chat channel, but I have been on the channel for such lengths of time throughout a day without reprimand.

Now, on the outside looking in, I can only offer an apology to the Prez and any other Ops and Overseers of the channel for my trespass. Had I known it was so harshly frowned upon, I certainly would not have done it (nor would I ever do it again).

That being said, I guess the purpose of this communique is to humbly request the opportunity to do whatever is necessary to regain admittance to the channel.
If there is no chance for appeal, than I would very much appreciate a general explanation of what a 'proxy' is and how I might avoid having one in the future on any other network thingamawhopper...

As Always,
k10wnsta

**NOTE** I transferred this from the USWest forum, cuz it appears that the traffic there is non-existent    :(