- - - - -

Programmer's Subforum?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Programmer's Subforum (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like the subforum to include other languages (including AutoIt), or just AutoIt?

1. AutoIt only (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

2. Other languages (5 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

3. I don't care. (5 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

Would you like to have a help section, for any questions about AutoIt?

1. Yes. (8 votes [72.73%])

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

2. No. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. I don't care. (3 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

Would you like to have a Scripts and Scraps section to allow members to share their scripts?

1. Yes. (10 votes [90.91%])

Percentage of vote: 90.91%

2. No. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. I don't care. (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote

#1 Nomad

Nomad
  • Deticated Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:17 AM

All of these polls and the idea of an Anime subforum by JAVA_Sango, ;) , has given me an idea.  I don't know how many people would be interested, but would anyone like to have a subforum for programming related topics?  I'm really only interested in a subforum for AutoIt related scripting, but while we're already here, we might as well see if anyone would be interested in any other category.

The subforum could be used for everything from help with syntax, to posting scripts and scraps of yours to share with others.  Maybe even have a Diablo II section for scripts relating only to Diablo II.

I'd be willing to moderate the subforum, if that would be an issue.

Voice your opinion and vote.  If you have any other ideas you would like to be included, feel free to post them.

I look forward to your replies,

Nomad :hunter:

#2 Nomad

Nomad
  • Deticated Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:46 PM

If you are interested in the idea of having a subforum to support languages other than AutoIt, please post what language you would like included so that I have an idea of what other languages are still actively used in the community.

Thanks,

#3 BreCalmor

BreCalmor
  • Deticated Member
  • 288 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 03:06 PM

Probably one for mirc scripting(if there isn't one already...  too lazy to look, gotta run)

Bre
*diablo

#4 Nomad

Nomad
  • Deticated Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:09 PM

I believe there is one for IRC scripting, but I'm not too into scripting for a chat client.  I did a few small scripts for the little time I spend on mIRC though.

Edit: typo

Edited by Nomad, 02 June 2006 - 06:10 PM.

#5 ario

ario

User

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:53 PM

A programming forum would be a great idea.

#6 BreCalmor

BreCalmor
  • Deticated Member
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:28 PM

How about one for PHP or MySQL too for those web developers out there?

Bre
*diablo

#7 Nomad

Nomad
  • Deticated Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:46 PM

View Postario, on Jun 4 2006, 10:53 PM, said:

A programming forum would be a great idea.

Thanks for the support. :)

View PostBreCalmor, on Jun 5 2006, 12:28 PM, said:

How about one for PHP or MySQL too for those web developers out there?

Bre
*diablo

It really doesn't matter to me, but that's why everyone is invited to post their ideas.  I don't really have much experience with web page development, but that doesn't mean I would be against adding a subforum to support such languages.  I volunteered myself to moderate the forum if it is going to be needed, but if that means that I will need experience with the language of the subforum I might be moderating, I will be lacking there.

I have experience with Basic, QBasic, C, C++, and AutoIt.  Plus I've picked up some general knowledge of a few other languages, such as ASM and API.  But AutoIt is my baby right now, I love it. ;)

I wanted to add more options to the poll, but you are limited to three topics, hehe.  Anyway, here is my idea for a layout of the forum, add something like this to the "Bots and Programs" section, or the "Main" menu:

Programming and Support
AutoIt  C++  PHP & MySQL  Another language maybe

Then inside of each subforum, maybe some more subforums like:

General Help
Scripts and Scraps
Team Projects
Another Idea

The Team Projects could be a place for people to all work together on a specific project, I got the idea from another site.  Just another thought. :)

Anyway, keep the votes and ideas coming.  Your vote does matter!!   *acute

#8 ario

ario

User

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:50 AM

I suggested that we make the IRC scripting forum into an all around programming forum where we can discuss/share all languages.
I think i need a little more convincing/bribing the admins :P :D :D

Edited by ario, 12 June 2006 - 07:51 AM.

#9 Nomad

Nomad
  • Deticated Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:23 AM

That could work too.  It doesn't really matter to me, I'm just really involved in programming lately and would like a place here to discuss and share scripts and ideas.  There are a few other sites I frequently visit, but most of my stuff either doesn't really have a place there, or I don't want a lot of the members there to view my work. :)

I spend a lot of time at the AutoIt forums, but my Diablo scripts really don't have a place there.  I usually end up just answering questions in the support forum.

I need a home, hehe

#10 ario

ario

User

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:06 PM

Nomad, do you visit our IRC server? If so, what is your nick?

#11 Uchiha-Sango

Uchiha-Sango

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 236 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:39 PM

i was wondering the same thing.. lol

#12 Nomad

Nomad
  • Deticated Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 08:27 AM

Yes, but not very often.  I'm Nomad there too. ;)

I'm usually too involved in a script to chat.  If I have mIRC on I usually get distracted from work and don't get a lot done.  Which is why I mainly stick to the forums.  I try to log in about once every two weeks though, to keep my nick active.  When I start playing D2 again I'll be logged in more often, I haven't really played in about 4 weeks.

Plus, it saves me soj, the time before last I sold 25 soj to walk a clone and I only had 2 games, hehe. :hunter:

#13 Nomad

Nomad
  • Deticated Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:07 PM

Hmm, ok.  I guess I'll start cluttering up the already slightly available programming sections with a lot of my little scripts I use a lot.  Maybe then "the management" will see the need for an AutoIt section. :D

I can easily jump my post count by 50 just doing that, hehe.

P.S.  I also think the programming subforum should have the ability to attach files.  I just realized on my first post of a script I use I needed that ability.  There's a .dll required to use it, and instead of posting a link to another site to get it, it would be nice to just attach it to the topic. :D

Edited by Nomad, 26 June 2006 - 09:37 PM.

#14 BreCalmor

BreCalmor
  • Deticated Member
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:23 PM

Works for me, and if you get a wild hair, I would like to work on that please wait screen test thingy...

Thanks,
Bre
*diablo

#15 Nomad

Nomad
  • Deticated Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:37 PM

View PostBreCalmor, on Jun 26 2006, 09:23 PM, said:

Works for me, and if you get a wild hair, I would like to work on that please wait screen test thingy...

Thanks,
Bre
*diablo
LOL.  Just ask when you need help, I'll do what I can.  Be sure to post the portion of your script in question so that I will know exactly what you are trying to do and what you have already done in trying to do it.  If you don't want it public for whatever reason, you can pm it to me.  I won't share it. :D

#16 Nomad

Nomad
  • Deticated Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 07:37 PM

As of late I've moved on from creating Diablo II specific scripts to a more broad range of scripting.  Mainly scripts to aid other scriptors, such as UDF's (hence my _Memory UDF's) and my most recent project, a Memory Scanning Tool (similar to Cheat Engine, but with AutoIt).  Apparantly Cheat Engine, and other related scanners, don't work with some games, but AutoIt does.  So a scanner in AutoIt will have obvious benefits and there is nothing like that currently available.

The Memory Scanner is requiring some radical new ideas that have never been accomplished in AutoIt as of yet, such as multi-threading.  Which will also result in some new UDF's when completed (_CreateThread, etc...).  I have included what little bit I have released about this concept in my _Memory topic on the AutoIt forums, and will continue posting any information related to it there until I release the completed project.  The topic can be found by looking in my first post for my _Mem UDF's here in the forums, or by looking in the Scripts and Scraps section on the AutoIt forums if anyone is interested.

I'm writing this because this is another prime example of what a Programming Subforum could be used for. :D